Tuesday, July 26, 2011

You gotta have faith

I finally made it out of Kuwait and into Afghanistan. I knew I would eventually, but it was starting to become my own personal "Groundhog Day". This flight out was a Military flight run by the Air Force on a C-17. Lots of returning Service Members and contractors in transit to Bagram then to places afar.  I was supposed to board an immediate flight out to Kabul immediately following the flight to Bagram, but I was bumped off that flight because others with higher priority needed seats.  My next opportunity for a flight out is tonight, and I'm confident I'll make it out.

Military planes can be scary because there are no comforts like on commercial airliners. I'm always a little apprehensive when flying military Space-A, so I say a short silent prayer before take off, and it always helps me through the flight.


There are no atheists in foxholes, or so the saying goes.  The only problem with that statement is that we don't fight out of fox holes anymore.  War for the U.S. Military is no longer a symmetrical battle, meaning we don't fight military to military anymore with front lines and such and there is no longer a safe place "behind the front lines".  We now fight in an a-symmetrical battlefield with no front lines and no safe areas.  We walk among enemy and friend alike and fight a war of ideas, although the ammunition still includes bullets and explosives.

In years past I always kept a medallion of Saint Barbara around my neck every time I deployed.  She, being the patron saint of Field Artillerymen for protection against explosions, lightning, and consumption by fire, and to me was a symbol of my job and protection from it as well.  While I'm not a Catholic, this trinket had symbolic meaning to me first as a Field Artillery officer at the time, and secondly as a symbol of someone who believed so steadfastly in their faith that in their afterlife they offer protection to the living through their continued prayers.  I now wear a medallion of Saint Michael, the archangel, who symbolizes the victory of good over evil.  In many cultures Saint Michael is considered a protector and guardian angel.

I decided several years ago that I wanted to switch my branch and military occupational specialty to Civil Affairs because I wanted to try and make a difference in the world.  I wanted to help rebuild rather than destroy.  I wanted to teach rather than punish with force.  This is not to say that I won't shoot dead someone who threatens myself, my comrades, or the civilian population that I'm charged with protecting.  People always ask me if I've ever shot anyone.  I have yet to do so, but I have no problem if it falls under the above criteria and doesn't violate International law (Geneva Conventions) or theater ROE (Rules of Engagement).  If you deploy to a combat zone, you need to have this mindset or you will never be combat effective.

Now I'm not overtly religious, although I do consider myself a Christian.  Based on the doctrine of my particular faith, I believe that I am not and never will be perfect.  I also believe that I should try to do good in the world in the eyes of my maker.  Asking to be forgiven is not a one time event but a continuous process with a reward of continuous grace from birth until death.  I believe that it's better to show your faith through actions rather than spewing hollow or two faced words of piety, and it's my wish that my current profession helps me accomplish this.

Occasionally I run into a Soldier who's terrified to go outside of the wire (leave the confines of the FOB) because of IEDs (Improvised Explosive Devices aka roadside bombs), RPGs (Rocket Propelled Grenades), or some other horrific explosive weapon.  I usually carry a couple Saint Barbara necklace medallions with me to give out to such individuals.  I explain the story and significance of the patron saint and that faith helps get you through tough times.  This gives the individual something to focus on so that their fear isn't paralyzing them from doing their job.  After all, to quote the British essayist William Hazlitt (1778-1830), "If you think you can win, you can win. Faith is necessary to victory."

More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be logged and reviewed for appropriateness.