Saturday, August 20, 2011

Battle of the bulge

I got on the scale in the gym today, and I've gained fifteen pounds since since I left the U.S.  It's not that I'm complaining, since I've always thought I had whatever the opposite of anorexia would be.  Of course I came over here with the mindset to gain some weight.  I just don't want it to be in the "love handles" area.  So far I think about half of it has been muscle; the other half is my "stored energy" much like a camel hump.

When I deployed to Iraq in 2005 with the Texas National Guard, they pulled from three Brigades just to fill up one for mobilization. Soldiers were being medically released for nearly every medical reason imaginable because they weren't medically deployable for one reason or another. Although oddly enough, the ones who were morbidly obese were still kept. They were put on strict diets during our train up and between a half dozen or so they lost a combined total of a half ton. I remember seeing the largest one at the end of the deployment and he had gained it all back and then some. (Actually a LOT more)

One of the topics I touch on here a lot is the food service we receive here in the DFACs while deployed.  In all honesty, I have never seen a dining facility on any post/base/camp in the U.S. that can compare with the quality and quantity of food served in DFACs in forward deployed areas.  With all the access to food, it's no wonder that so many gain weight while deployed.  Now I know what you're thinking.  Most people who've never had direct contact with the Armed Forces view the Military as physically fit exercise demons because that's what they see on TV and the movies.

Let me clear up a little misconception right now.  The Military is a microcosm of society in general.  For example to name just a few, you have good samaritans, sociopaths, ego maniacs, wall flowers, gang members, evangelicals, atheists, health nuts, athletes, couch potatoes, vegetarians, hypochondriacs, homosexuals, heterosexuals, bisexuals, etc. in roughly the same percentages in the country's general population.  We also have overweight people just like in normal society in roughly the same numbers, so the Military is in a constant battle of weight control.

In my office, I work with Service Members from all four services. Some will be rotating out going back home in the next few months and have started "P90X" or "Insanity" workouts several times a week in order to get a little better cut before going home. Nobody expects to see a pudgy trooper coming back from war, but it happens all to often. I don't have to deal with that issue right now, so I'll continue my bulk up phase before I try to slim down for my R&R this winter.

To complicate matters, most of the larger FOBs and camps have fast food franchises operated independantly or by AAFES that U.S. troops, DoD civilians, contractors, and our allies frequent often.  This became an issue for former ISAF commander Gen Stanley McCrystal, and in March of 2010 he ordered all non-essential "MWR" type activities and restaurants (to include AAFES franchised operations) to close because they were a distraction to the war effort.  Most of the European allies thumbed their nose at this order and kept their operations opened, but all AAFES franchises were shuttered.  As you remember, McCrystal was later fired for poor judgement in words released to a "Rolling Stone" reporter, and the the food vendors resumed their operations in Afghanistan when Gen David Petraeus temprarily replaced him.

I know it may sound like it, but I'm not blaming the food here.  Good food is a staple for keeping warriors ready for combat, both physically and mentally.  The fast food vendors in country offer a slice of home to those of us away for a year, and the DFACs ensure that no soldier ever goes hungry or even has to eat a meal of something they just don't like.  There's something for everyone here, but to blame it all on the (fast) food would be a short sighted decision.  Getting fat is done solely at the will of the person eating, and responsibility for your own actions (or inactions with respect to exercise) will determine your weight at the end of the deployment.

And to come to the defense of fast food, has anyone ever heard of the "McDonalds Doctrine"? It states that no two countries that currently have McDonalds franchises have ever gone to war with each other throughout modern history.  It's true, look it up.  Besides, who could be mad at fast food when it comes in such a snappy package as this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3dPXxPGbmM

More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be logged and reviewed for appropriateness.