Friday, August 5, 2011

Let's get physical

I received two care packages today.  More precisely, I received the two care packages I prepacked to be sent once I reached my final destination in this theater of operations.  A second set of sheets for my plastic covered foam mattress, an electric massage pillow for my neck, and razor blades for my Gillette Sensor Excel (they no longer stock in the PX), among other items, and I felt like doing a happy dance.  Among some of the other items I prepacked were my vitamins and dietary supplements I take in an attempt to stay healthy.  While on deployment, aside from the obvious risks associated with combat and a sometimes toxic environment, you have the opportunity to live whatever lifestyle you want, be it healthy or unhealthy.  And there is every opportunity to do either.  Obviously there are challenges.

I've gained about ten pounds since I left the U.S., but to be fair I'm sure that five of it is from too many trips to the desert bar, complete with Baskin Robbins ice cream.  I'm going to just consider the other five pounds is pure muscle that I've gained from working out and leave it at that.  I've decided that over this next year I'll attempt to gain muscle weight and eat as healthy as possible.  Aside from staying away from the complex carbs and fried foods, I'm trying to eat healthier with the occasionally scoop of cookies and cream.  Eating fresh vegetables from the salad bar would be a smart idea, except the camp surgeon warned me to stay away from them because he believes they're not washed well enough and were probably the source of my recent food poisoning. (Remember I wrote earlier not to question where most of the fresh food we eat comes from.)  And running is not in my health plan even though tread mills are available because those hurt my knees.  (Remember that we were warned not to run outside because of the poor air quality in Kabul from burning trash.)

For me that leaves lifting weights.  We do have a decent gym in the basement.  Mind you, it's not a Golds, 24 Hour, or Lifetime Fitness, but it will suffice to give you a full body workout with both free and universal weights.  Service Members spend a lot of time in the gym.  Not because they're all muscled hulks or amazons, there's just very little else to do while not working when deployed.  Actually, there are other physical activity programs offered here in the gym such as yoga, aerobics, P90X, etc.  Keep in mind we do have a lot of Civilian DoD employees, contractors and foreign military as well, and everyone takes full advantage of the programs offered.

The gym is run by contracted civilian employees.  A few Americans manage it and the menial labor is done by locals.  There're two women who work the front desk, both in abayas and hijabs covering all but their faces.  Quite the contrast to the other women in workout clothing.  There's always music playing, but I suspect it's some mix CD because I've heard several of the same songs played over again in what I think is the same order.  Among some of the artists are Lady Gaga, Justin Timberlake, and Creed.  (Surely if Lady Gaga is played in a war zone, there can be no more combat, right?)  Occasionally, I'll come in and they're playing old school hip hop from the 90's or metal rock from the 80's.  Interesting choices of music, that's for sure.

So here I am day in and day out in the gym, working to maintain/improve my health and fight off the boredom.  I should probably start bringing my MP3 player to listen to my own music since the stuff they're playing is getting old quick.  I wonder if they take requests?  Maybe I should ask for some Olivia Newton John?

More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be logged and reviewed for appropriateness.