Sunday, August 21, 2011

That's so annoying

Ah Sundays, the day I can sleep in and have my late brunch before going in for a half day of work.  Only problem is my new roommate decided this morning was the time to move in and assemble a third bunk bed so he could have a "man cave" too. Not only did he wake me up from my slumber from a hard night of blogging, but he asked me to help earlier than he had previously said he needed the help.  So, a groggy me gets up and helps fit the metal frames together.  Mildly annoyed, I go back to bed.

So now I'm up and can't get back to sleep.  I decide to do a little Skype video chat, but the connection isn't working well.  (How annoying...)  At least I can have a good brunch with a cooked to order omelet and read the "Stars and Stripes" newspaper at my leisure.  Unfortunately a coworker asks if they can sit down next to me even though there are empty seats everywhere.  I smile and lie through my teeth saying, "Of course."  And now they begin talking...

I have a number of errands to run before work, and I find myself standing at the counter of the laundry facility waiting for the group of Afghan workers to finish what seemed like a five minute conversation.  I then head to the post office and a bulked-up mail clerk who seems disgruntled with his job to say the least helps me get a gift packaged and mailed back home.  I joke with him about paying in AAFES pogs (paper money because coins are to heavy for AAFES to transport).  The postal clerk just gives me drop dead look.  While leaving, another clerk jokingly begs for me to take him back to ISAF next time I go.  Really?  Do I know you?  Ug...

I go into work, and hopefully I can get some work done in between my Facebook time.  (I feel like being productive today.)  Great, someone has taken upon themselves to debate the post on my own page about the country's deficit and economic policies and the ills of political pandering to a religious base on non-issues.  Now I'm offended.  This is my personal page to publish as I see fit and someone has the audacity to sully it with their political drivel?  Is it too much to ask that if you're going to disagree with me, you do it in a less than public forum and let me keep my own house the way I like it?

I'm in my office and the topic of the repeal of DADT (Don't Ask, Don't Tell) comes up.  Some people joke and others tout their moral objections.  The very thought of gays and lesbians serving in the Military at all offends them to the core.  I'm not sure why, other than the thought that their very existence is somehow an affront to theirs.  However, I find it insulting that they display calendars of the TV show Southpark where the character "Mr Garrison" (who has had a sex change in the show) is making derogatory statements about homosexuals.

I joined the Military, and as such I took an oath to defend the U.S. Constitution.  The First Amendment guarantees everyone the right to freedoms of speech and religion, among others liberties.  What it does not guarantee is that everyone will believe, think, and act the same way you do, thereby keeping you from getting your feelings hurt.  To paraphrase Larry Flint, we have many rights and liberties in our country, but the right to not be offended is not one of them.  Think about that next time you try imposing your own views and morality on someone else because you feel offended.

More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be logged and reviewed for appropriateness.