Saturday, August 6, 2011

How the other half lives

I was scheduled to attend a classified computer software training class at the International Security Assistance Forces (ISAF) headquarters today.  Yes, I know this is Saturday, but there are no weekends off while deployed.  For that matter, there are no days off or holidays either.  We work every day.

ISAF is the NATO headquarters for the coalition of forces in Afghanistan, basically my echelon's higher headquarters.  Their compound is fairly close to my base, (within a mile) but we can't walk to it since they aren't connected.  This was the first other base in Kabul I've seen thus far.  And this was an international base, not one run primarily by the U.S. forces.  While the U.S. has about 100k troops on the ground in Afghanistan, the remainder of the 150k total forces are made up of individuals from dozens of foreign militaries.

During the lunch break from my class, a colleague and I went to their DFAC.  Wow, what a culture shock.  They eat on ceramic plates with real silverware.  The food isn't the standard fare that the U.S. Forces are accustomed to seeing.  They eat what appears to be gourmet prepared meals in all nationalities.

After lunch, we shopped four of the internationally run PX's that are stocked and run by foreign militaries.  Interesting stuff for sale, and all priced in Euros.  The ISAF camp itself is larger so the residents aren't living on top of each other, although the facilities are older and not as clean.  I could definitely get used to living there, but there're limited U.S. positions on that base.

When I returned from my mission, I learned that a CH47 Chinook helicopter had crashed killing 31 Special Forces in the Wardak Province.  My brother is Special Forces and is somewhere over here too.  My family hasn't heard from him in a number of months, so we're hoping that no news is good news.  I know I sarcastically describe my conditions here at times, but I really have no basis to complain.  I'm in the capital where eminent threats are pretty low, and my accommodations are pretty good when compared to the other Forward Operating Bases, Combat Outposts, and Airbases around this theater.  I feel bad comparing my lot to how I think the other half lives, when I should be more concerned with how the other half dies.


More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be logged and reviewed for appropriateness.