Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The gift that keeps on giving

Like in any confined place, contagious illnesses pass quickly throughout the military.  Due to the close working and living conditions, Service Members are exposed to any number of germs.  That's why we take so many vaccinations.  I can't count the number of things I've been vaccinated against, and I've also lost count of the number of boosters for Anthrax I've had over the past two decades.  No deformities or Gulf War Syndrome; so far so good.

The first time I deployed to Iraq, we were in Kuwait consolidating before forward movement and sleeping in a Bedouin tent packed with about 50 cots all right next to each other.  Conventional Army medical wisdom states that Soldiers should be placed at least 5 feet apart and staggered head to toe to ensure that airborne illnesses are not spread in close quarters sleeping conditions.  Well, our command back then decided that we all just needed to suck it up, and as a consequence about a third of us got sick with bronchitis and strep throat.  So much for mission readiness.

Some things never change.  I've talked about our cramped quarters in my compound, and while we do have air conditioning, the filtration and circulation system is woefully inadequate.  End of last week, my roommate came back from a short trip to Kandahar Airbase, and brought back what I like to call "Kennel Cough".  In as much as I tried to stay away, we have to sleep in the same small room, so two days ago I was worried when I first started with the beginnings of a throat tickle and slight cough.  Needless to say that it developed into a full blown hack complete with mucus. (I hope I'm being descriptive enough)  By this morning, I had had enough and went to the TMC for some Chlorphenaramine and Pseudoepenefrine.  The good stuff...

We do what we can to protect ourselves from getting sick.  We're constantly reminded to wash our hands and to sneeze and cough into our sleeves.  We live in a toxic environment when compared to Western standards. The people in this area of the world, for the most part, don't have the proper education to understand good hygiene, and they are continuously stricken with ailments that are rare to us Westerners who understand good grooming and cleanliness.  It may sound bad, but I carry hand sanitizer in a pouch of my body armor to use often while I am outside the wire.  You never know when you're shaking hands with someone who doesn't use toilet paper or wash their hands, and you never know if the baby that some woman is handing you to show off is covered with ringworm or not. (Yes, this has happened)  Typically, when we disengage from our meetings and social engagements, out comes the Purell.

After a nap and a lot of drugs I'm feeling better.  Staying healthy is a constant battle that requires exercising, eating well, and ensuring proper hygienic practices.  It is also incumbent upon leaders to identify problem areas that lead to illnesses (stray cats for one, and poor building circulation for another), and make the necessary changes to protect the force.  New barracks are being built on my compound, but I doubt I'll get to see them finished before I leave.  It all comes down to prior planning, and this country is woefully inadequate in that department.  I'm looking on the bright side of it though.  It gives me a reason to stay away from work because I just have to use the excuse that by staying away, I'm protecting the force.  I'll take a little real sickness to sham any day as long as I can get some time off.

More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be logged and reviewed for appropriateness.