Friday, September 2, 2011

Lost and found

I've been worried the past few days.  After our IDF "drill" the other night, I lost a fully loaded M-9 magazine.  It apparently fell out of my shoulder harness when I dove for cover near some sand bags.  I went back to retrieve it later that night after I realized it was missing, but I couldn't find it.  I told the camp administration that I was missing the loaded magazine, so if anyone turned it in I could claim it, but nobody had.  After checking back several times, I decided to go to the supply room and ask for a replacement magazine and ammo.  To my surprise, they asked if the one they had in the back was mine; it was.

I got to thinking what I've lost and found over the past few months.  After some contemplation, that is what I came up with.

I lost my thumbnail that was smashed two months ago in a door before I deployed.  I found ten pounds of muscle that had been elusively hiding from me all my life.  I also found about five pounds of fat too...

I lost a green sock in the laundry, but I found a towel in the bathroom, so I guess that makes up for everything.

I appear to have lost a lot of my shyness and found a renewed confidence based on my networking skills and nomination request to be a four star general's aide.

Since I deployed under much better circumstances this time, I lost my mistrust of family and friends to help take care of my property and affairs while gone, and I found that there really are decent people in the world who won't take advantage of Service Members while deployed.

Watching the news, I've lost a lot of faith in the American people to follow political leaders that actually tackle giant issues facing the country instead of focusing on divisive non-issues.  I've found faith in our Military leaders for stepping up and doing the right thing by following orders even if it may not be the popular majority's view.

Since coming to this country, I've lost my negative view that this society doesn't want to be rescued, and I've found a hopeful humanity in so may of the locals that I interact with daily.

I have a lot of miles ahead of me during this deployment, so I hope I lose track of time and find the meaning and my greater sense of purpose in my life.

More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be logged and reviewed for appropriateness.